With you for thirteen years CH14 END


Chapter 14: Restart

Opening the eyes this time again, even Chu Chengyu didn't know what kind of feelings he would have.

That familiar feeling of heaviness like falling into the middle of a swamp, the kind of feeling you have when you're on the verge of death, counting this time, it should be the fourth time right?

Eyes haven't opened yet, strong winds vroomed past his ears, like a conditioned reflex Chu Chengyu's arched body got out of the way, then rolled outwards once, propping onto all fours, calming his heartbeats.

It seems, that somewhere around where the leg bends, there's some kind of pain.

Feels......like there's something wrong, the brain sent out alert signals, he used some energy to bite down on his lips, opening his eyes.

At the same time that his vision was recovering, even his hearing also recovered.

Around him, resounding through, was acute car horns, a bunch of people was surrounding him, muttering something......so noisy.

Then, he realized, he was spread on the ground, and in the eyes of others he was in an unusual and awkward posture, his arms and knees were both bleeding out, he only felt pain after seeing it.

And, it seems, that he was completely different from the previous thirteen years.

Right now he, was Chu Chengyu.

Seeing that paper box Hai Ruo was stunned, breathing out a few breaths of hot air in her hands, she slowly walked over.

Inside the box was a small black cat, fur that was fully dusky dark no variegated colors, like a small ball, curled up, looking extremely pitiful.

She subconsciously stretched out her hands......it was already cold, the body didn't rise up and down, there was no breathing, not even any signs of trembling.

Hai Ruo heard a phase before, like a dream passing through a whole life untold, how many autumns in our life are cold*.

At that moment, it seemed like she just dreamed a long dream, unknown memories were madly flooded into her brain, happy ones, sad ones, contradicting ones, strong ones, in an instant, all of these emotions occupied her heart.

Until a piece of white paper with words written on it broke through her mind.

Tears rained down.

DongDong, Hai Ruo opened her mouth, but no sound came out, it turns out that when you get to this degree of sadness you can't force out any energy to speak.

This area is too cold, DongDong definitely doesn't like it.

Hai Ruo held up the box with two hands, protecting it near her heart, struggling to stand back up, turning around.

"Hai Ruo." It was a low and hoarse sounding voice, a man's voice, Hai Ruo's reflexes took action, raising her head to look over but not sure where to focus.

But right after she heard the man's next words her eyes widened.

"I am DongDong, the cat who accompanied you for thirteen years."

The man staggered over, seeming like he wasn't used to walking upright.

"And at the same time, I am also, the one that has always loved you——Chu Chengyu."

"My human name is, Chu Chengyu."

The man had a pair of lighter colored eyes, looking exactly the same as when DongDong looked at her——full of attachment, but there were also other unclear feelings mixed in.

Hai Ruo knew now, that type of feeling, was called love.

She didn't know it before, henceforth it would be a feeling that both her and DongDong, continue to study together.

"DongDong."

Oh right, DongDong himself said, that his name was called——

"Chu Chengyu."


SMALL THEATER:

After that day, Hai Ruo brought Chu Chengyu back to the apartment to help him put on medicine.

"Where is the medicine box?" Hai Ruo stared anxiously at the junk inside the cupboard.

"It's on the left inside the second cupboard, also check first to see if it's expired." A man's voice came from behind, Hai Ruo turned around, that man stared at her, worrying that she's lost.

Ah, this is, inexplicably there seems to be something more added? Hai Ruo thought about it helplessly, but couldn't ignore that bit of sweetness she felt in her heart.


SMALL THEATER:

Investment bank boss: Oh, Xiao Chu, seems as of late you've been quite popular, getting along with people a lot more, and you always have a smile on your face, did something good happen recently?

Chu Chengyu: Yes, I am dating, about to get married.

The assistant coming in: (Biting a handkerchief in their heart*, this f**ker* even with that unchanging wooden face for a thousand years they could still find a girlfriend, in their hands gasoline and a fire torch appeared unexpectedly.)

Boss: Oh, when are you holding the reception*?

Chu Chengyu: (Thinking about Hai Ruo who still feels a bit awkward) I will see what my girlfriend thinks, I'll try for as soon as possible.


SMALL THEATER:

Pursuing Hai Ruo with the identity of a man isn't as smooth as he thought it would be.

It's one thing that they both don't have the experience, and Hai Ruo feels awkward is her own ways, but there's another thing.

Chu Chengyu is way too natural, and a lot of his daily actions were the habits he had as a cat which he brought into life living with Hai Ruo.

Like, being at home (home being Hai Ruo's apartment) he would never take his work outside, when they were going to class he would automatically follow her, and unknowingly he became the "study overlord" of the ancient literature students.

Chu Chengyu: (Their memory is really bad, can't even recite out Heavenly Questions*)............(no preparation opening their mouths saying whatever they want).

The students: This super poem Heavenly Questions can it even be recited?

Also, thoughtlessly he starts licking Hai Ruo, especially liking to hug Hai Ruo while rubbing on, as well as liking his nose and Hai Ruo's nose touching, rubbing it together so many times it could possibly create a fire.

If Hai Ruo didn't know how DongDong usually was, she would even think that Chu Chengyu was taking advantage of her.

But, she also doesn't really reject it.

Recovering something lost is a valuable experience, but experiencing it once was enough.


SMALL THEATER:

Regarding the body Chu Chengyu "once" lived in for thirteen years, they kept care of it this way.

There was an extra big flower pot on the windowsill, inside that flowerpot buried was a black-fur brown-eyed small cat, after Hai Ruo carefully washed up his body, like a treasure burying it in.

Chu Chengyu stared without looking away once, passing over some flower seeds.

Pink lilies, Hai Ruo's favorite flowers.

Their DongDong, using this method will always be accompanying them, not only for a short thirteen years.

Chu Chengyu, will always be accompanying Hai Ruo, all the way to when their hair turns grey.

The end.


*Like a dream passing through a whole life untold, how many autumns in our life are cold - This is I'm pretty sure a reference to the poem 西江月·世事一场大梦 by 苏轼 (Su Shi). 
The only difference is that Hai Ruo says: 平生一场大梦 for the first line rather than what was on the poem: 世事一场大梦. 苏轼 (Su Shi) talking about the entire world and Hai Ruo focusing on life. The poem reflects the author's depressive mood after being relegated. The tone is relatively low and mournful, full of deep sighs of the illusion of life.

*Assistant is biting handkerchief- they are jealous, eating lemons...

*The word f**ker used here is 魂淡 and honestly it has lots of meanings but I went on the forums and the majority said the word f**ker.

*I choose to say reception but what is said is 请酒... which really means invite for drinks which the Chinese say since you cheer with drinks.

*Heavenly Questions 天问 - Piece of poetry by 屈原 (Qu Yuan)


Prev            Table of Contents

Comments

  1. Hello, Translator here!

    I decided to type up my thoughts here instead of including it in the chapter as I didn't want a blob of words there. I want to first thank everyone for reading my translations and hopefully everyone enjoyed them. Next I wanted to write my experience translating this story. First, I am very happy that I decided to translate this novel as it was a good read to me. Second, I want to highlight the three chapters that stood out most to me. CH11- I like how Xu Jing came back in this chapter and shared her experience and learning with us. CH12- This chapter made me feel as if my own cat was dying.... I paused 3 times during this chapter and teared up probably all 3 times. CH13- WOW. This chapter was very very hard for me, I took lots of breaks way like 7-10 breaks just to not get too emotional, but I still cried especially getting to the bottom part of DongDong's letter/will......reading the last line "forever resting" did not help at all with calming me down. Lastly I just want to say that the SMALL THEATERs were all a nice read but honestly a pain to translate...as I would think I'm finish translating the chapter and then out of nowhere there's like 2 SMALL THEATER;; anyways I wrote a lot don't know if anyone would read this comment, but once again thank you for reading my translations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread my comment twice and still made a typo... *took lots of break on the way like 7-10 breaks........

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your hard work! I really enjoyed this story - so happy that DongDong and Hai Ruo get their HE :)

    Just curious, do you have any plans in translating another novel?

    P.S. I read your comment - I enjoy reading the translator’s notes/thoughts, it gives me a chance to understand the story better sometimes and another perspective to look at the story and characters from :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello zy,

      Thank you for reading my translations and glad you enjoyed my comment! Took me a bit to understand what HE stood for @.@

      And yes I do have plans to translate another novel, or novels actually :)
      I might release the first chapter of one soon, maybe today or tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. This novel is amazing and I wish it was longer but this length is not bad. Thank you so much for translating it. I hope other people would get to know this beautiful story as well. Also, I have MTLed this story after you posted the first few chapters previously but I still came back to reread it again once you've finished your translation. I joyfully await the next novel that you will translate. I believe that it would be something good again. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Caelumsidhe,

      Thank you for reading my translations, glad you enjoyed this novel too!

      I'm thankful that you are looking forward to my next translations, I also hope it's good haha...I usually pick novels to translate based on the reviews people gave, so all of the novels I translate are also ones I'm reading for the first time.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful story. Thank you for translating this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for reading my translations and glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the translation of the story. I found it today and read it one shot. I cried so much reading the last few chapters that I had to keep blowing my nose haha. So touched by what Dongdong wrote.

    Thanks again for translating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MiNG,

      Thank you for reading my translations! Glad you enjoyed the novel^^

      DongDong's words were so touching I cried badly during that part (my eyes were filled with tears that as I was translating and typing it இДஇ゚) I was trying hard to hold back too, since I had cried the day before too because of the previous chapter......

      Delete
  6. This novel was so wonderful and satisfying!! From characters, plot, pacing, length, and to translation!

    Thank you so much to the author for bringing this story to the world. And of course, thank you so much to the translator for choosing to translate this novel and sharing it to us non-chinese speakers and for doing a wonderful job too!

    I'm so glad I got to know of this novel. Short but can really evoke emotions. Ch13 really made me tear up!! I really love the leads, they're so wonderful and admirable. They're definitely one of the best ML and FL pairs I've read. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello papel,

      Thank you for the all nice comments and for reading my translations! I'm glad you enjoyed this novel^^

      CH13 was one that made me teary too actually super tearyTT...it was really hard typing out that chapter.

      Delete
  7. I knew how this history Will end but i cry.... I cry reading the letter AND i cry reading the final breath moment i was expecting the restart but i couldn't help yo cry xD thanks for the translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for reading my translations for this novel and I'm glad you were able to make it to the end of this emotional rollercoaster!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this heartwarming story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tae,

      Glad to hear that you also enjoyed the author's story!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for translating this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Crystalss77,

      Thank you for reading my translations of this novel~

      Delete
  10. Thanks for translating ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for reading my translations of this novel!

      Delete
  11. I just found this novel today and can't stop reading till the end. I'm so glad Hai Ruo and Chengyu gets their Happy Ending together T_T Thank you so much for translating this! Wish you well and best of wishes 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yuuina,

      Thank you for reading my translations of this novel, and for the sweet comment! Wishing you all the best too^^

      Delete
  12. Oh i feel like i'm eating lemon. It's just sweet and a little sour at the same time. Thank you for translating this novel. I also want to make fan translation to Burmese Language. Could you give me permission to pick? ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      First I would like to thank you for enjoying my translations, and I'm ok with you re-translating this novel to the Burmese language. But I would just like to give a minor warning beforehand that no matter how accurate I try to translate all the words/terms from Chinese to English there will still be some words/terms that aren't really "translatable" and rather it's just the closest English term I was able to get.

      So although I don't mind you using my translations to translate into another language, if you can it might best to try from the original language.

      Delete
  13. Hi! :)

    I'm Avi from Indonesia, I have read your English version of ”With You for Thirteen Years" that you have translated and I'm very excited to translate it into Bahasa. Can I ask your permission to translate your version into Bahasa?

    I’ll be course put you on the credit so that people will be interested to read your work and your another works.

    Thank you. I would be waiting for your reply soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Avi,

      I'm not sure if you read my reply to the comment above yours, but I don't have any issues with you wanting to retranslate this novel.

      As said above with a few more words: "But I would just like to give a minor warning beforehand that no matter how accurate I try to translate all the words/terms from Chinese to English there will still be some words/terms that aren't really "translatable" and rather it's just the closet English term I was able to get to the equivalent of the meaning in Chinese.

      So although I don't mind you using my translations to translate into another language if you can it would be best to translate directly from the original novel."

      If you've read this pretty long heads up and still want to proceed go ahead!

      Delete
  14. You’re too kind. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for translating this! I read it all at once. When I was reading the reviews from nu, I thought to myself how can a story about a cat can make people cry? Oh boy I was not prepared. I don't regret reading this even if it made me cry. I'm relieved that it's still HE at least my heart is now calmer. I'm glad that I didn't miss reading this gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello anele,

      I glad you enjoyed the novel, and thank you for reading my translations! Same, it made me cry too (and pretty badly at that). Also thank you for the lovely comment, reading your comment I think I was able to transfer that emotion I felt reading the novel in it's original language quite successfully?

      Delete
  16. At first, I was very hesitant on reading this story because of the reviews saying that you'll cry while reading it. It took me a lot of courage to read and I am very happy I did. This is a great story and thank you so much for sharing this with us. ❤️ I love this 🥀 THANK YOU!!!🥀

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish the small black kitty survived and they will raise him together. Too bad

    Thank you translator. This story made me cry so much but still i am so happy that i read this great story

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello,
    I'm Cherron from Myanmar, I'm very fascinated to read this translation of yours 'With you for thirteen years' and I want to translate it into Burmese. Would you mind giving me permission to translate this? I'll be grateful if you agree.

    I will also put you on the credit for your hard work so that people can notice your work.

    Thank you for giving your time. I'll be waiting for your reply soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cherron,

      Actually someone has already asked to translate my translations of this novel to the Burmese Language. So I don't know if you would still want to translate it too?

      But as I said to the others who have asked the same question as you. I would just like to give a minor warning beforehand that no matter how accurate I try to translate all the words/terms from Chinese to English there will still be some words/terms that aren't really "translatable" and rather it's just the closest English term I was able to get to the equivalent of the meaning in Chinese.

      So although I don't mind you using my translations to translate into another language if you can it would be best to translate directly from the original novel.

      If you've read the semi-long heads up and still want to proceed, go ahead!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your permission!!! I knew the one who asked you to translate this into Burmese and I've asked her too. As I can't read Chinese I can't translate this from the original novel. Anyway, thanks for your minor warning.

      Delete

Post a Comment